Lessons are best told and remembered when told in a story.
This is why I always exercise my storytelling muscle in sharing lessons about money and family in my articles, books, talks, and workshops.
One such storytelling book of mine is The Retelling of The Richest Man in Babylon which was published in 2014. I simplified the classic of George Samuel Clason entitled The Richest Man in Babylon written in 1926 in order to reach the children. I wanted to give the kids a head start in understanding the basic laws of money (simplified into three), and also remind the adults that the laws are simple.
Over the last five years, I have received wonderful feedback on the book – both from the parents and the children. In fact, I have buyers from outside the Philippines, and I am not just talking about our OFWs all over the world, but non-Filipinos as well.
I have received orders from abroad that entailed shipment costs far greater than the price of the book itself. But they didn’t mind the cost because they found the lessons in the book so important and worth teaching their children.
I wish to share one such feedback from a buyer in the United States. Here is his email message:
- Hello. I wanted to let you know that I already received the book The Retelling of The Richest Man in Babylon you sent through the mail. I was so incredibly excited! Immediately that evening my seven-year old son and I began reading the book at bedtime and it opened up so many childlike conversations about history, money, and cultures. It allowed me, as a father, to instill some new values to my son that are sometimes hard concepts for him to grasp at such a young age. I am so thrilled that this book can help me teach him the fundamental knowledge to become a successful adult. I am just tremendously appreciative of your kindness and thoughtfulness to send us this book while you’re in the US for me to save on shipping cost.
- This book is phenomenal and should reach everyone across the world. I’m happy that my son and I finally got our hands on it. Every parent should be reading this to his/her kids!
- Again, thank you very much.
- God bless!
Good News to Readers outside the Philippines
Because of the high courier cost for buyers outside the country, I am always the first to feel uncomfortable with the transaction. Some buyers paid courier costs of over two thousand pesos to buy this humble book with an SRP of only one hundred ninety-five pesos! So here’s my good news. You can now buy the ebook version of The Retelling of The Richest Man in Babylon at US$3.99 and it will be instantly delivered to your device wherever you are! Here’s the link: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B07ZT1B8R9&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_wk9VDbZRYHKAE
To all those who have purchased the book and made it a part of their bonding time with their children, and all those who, in one way or another, helped me in the completion and promotion of the book, thank you very much.
The printed copy continues to be available to those who prefer to read in print and be able to do the coloring and other activities in the book. This Christmas, it will be a good gift for your godchildren. We will also offer angpaos that remind the cash gift recipient to always follow the basic laws of money.
Cheers to high FQ!
1. Mom and Son Podcast – Season 4 Episode 5 (PINALO KA BA?/MAMAMALO KA BA?)
Growing up, pinalo ka ba ng magulang mo? Or now that you have your own kids, will you also practice spanking as a form of discipline for grave offenses or deliberate acts of disobedience? In this changing time of society, we discuss how and why spanking was done in our childhood, the proper way to do so and the risks of spanking. Join the conversation, stream the episode now and let us know your opinion on this matter!
Originally uploaded on Anton Fausto’s YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx83ysrashg
2. Thanks to those who already bought the FQ Book, especially to those who took the time out to send me their feedback. Your feedback is food for my soul. To those who have not gotten their copy yet, here’s a short preview of FQ: The nth Intelligence
3. Want to know where your FQ stands? Take the FQ Test Challenge now! Click link. http://rebrand.ly/FQTest
Rose Fres Fausto is a speaker and author of bestselling books Raising Pinoy Boys and The Retelling of The Richest Man in Babylon (English and Filipino versions). Click this link to read samples – Books of FQ Mom. She is a Behavioral Economist, Certified Gallup Strengths Coach and the grand prize winner of the first Sinag Financial Literacy Digital Journalism Awards. Follow her on Facebook & YouTube as FQ Mom, and Twitter & Instagram as theFQMom. Her latest book is FQ: The nth Intelligence.
Photos from amazon.com and freepik.com, modified and used to help deliver the message of the article.